Monday, January 10, 2011

The “Soft Skills” I Learned in 2010

Happy New Year! Having rung in the “Old Years Night” as they call it here in Guyana at home in 1st world amenity filled Canada by sipping vintage scotch and smoking Cuban cigars, I am now once again back in the developing world of Guyana to welcome the new year of 2011. Perhaps another encounter with a giant flying cockroach, another bike incident or two, more liming on the seawall, another job to complete, more roti’s to try and make as good as Celia’s, are all events that may await me this coming year. I hope to continue to progress with my volunteer work, my contribution to global society and to continue to acquire new skills and to challenge myself. Other VSO’s and myself have joked about the new skills we have all developed, some of these we have dubbed to be “soft skills” You know; the things that might not make it onto a C.V. or resume but that will serve you well in over all functioning. So here is my list of the top 5 soft skills I have developed in Guyana in 2010.
1. COLD SHOWERS 101 I now have the ability to take a cold shower anytime and anyplace. I occasionally still yelp on cooler days after the first dunking of the head into the chilly depths of the overhead spray, but actually cold water showers are very good for your lymphatic system and according to my hairdresser are also great for your hair and skin too! And well I have no option other than… “suck it up princess”.

2. Entomophobia or Insectophobia 202 I have developed a fear of giant flying insects in my face. I didn’t know I was afraid of this until it happened to me. It’s a good thing to know for future jungle encounters. I also am no longer afraid of trying to kill said giant insects as they attack me although some assistance from a valiant roommate and a whole bottle of lethal banned from 1st world insecticide is also helpful. This new fear has superseded my old fear of rats....I think. OK not rats in my face...just rats on the ground.

3. Bicycle Loading Ergonomics 303 This is an advanced course in how to transport things on two wheels. In this hands on method you learn to transport loose eggs, giant water bottles, loads of laundry, grocery bags, watermelons, flowers, ice, wooden art pieces, other passengers and still arrive alive. I am getting an A+ except for the umbrella section of the course work, where you ride one handed in the rain clutching an umbrella as I have almost crashed upon each attempt. I need a few remedial tutorials on this soft skill, but I have noticed the Dutch do it well.

4. Negotiations 406 I have studied theory on this most useful of skills back in my home country, but never had it tested to the limits as I have here. I have had to negotiate HARD with men, busses, taxis, at work, in seminars, buying food, with land ladies, police, street people, at trainings, with children vendors, street people, bus conductors, and in many other human encounters. Developing the skill to state what you need or can not do, or would like to do, firmly, fairly, diplomatically and without pissing anybody off is required to be utilized here most often. I feel I can negotiate with anyone now about anything, unreasonable dictators, bring them on…bitchy soccer moms…pushy phone sales reps... aggressive touts...HAH..I laugh at you all. No means no bitch!

5. Material Possession Awareness 503 The longer you live without some material items the more you realise they are not really needed in your life. I have now lived for the better part of five months without (in no particular order) a private living space, hot water, water you can drink from the tap, a hair dryer, a car, air conditioning, washing machines, dryers, a blackberry, a lavish wardrobe, good kitchen equipment, coffee shops, cable TV, movie theatres, an art studio, malls, comfortable furniture, butter, wine, cheese, chocolate, grapes, yogurt, and lattes and well I could go on.... All of these things will never again be taken for granted by me....and a hot shower alone will feel like a decadent small miracle to welcome back into my life.
Welcome 2011 and cheers to further learning about how to live on our shared planet, and to developing more skills, soft or not....Now where’s my umbrella and my bike?

3 comments:

  1. neat! it is amazing how much we can gain from difficult situations, as long as we're open to it. did you find the bike and the brollie in the end? see you soon lady;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice "roller skates" was not on your list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Sadly...no roller skates...but I dream about the day I will return to skating and do leg squats and lubges every day...!!

    ReplyDelete